Thursday, February 2, 2012

'oh baby!' part 2


After a week full of crafts & baking the baby shower was complete! On the day of the shower we woke up to a ton of snow but that wasn't going to stop us. As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I designed the baby shower invitations and wanted to follow that same color scheme.

 I created a trio of centerpieces at each table that consisted of: Mason jars wrapped with ribbon and raffia with a touch of yellow button pom flowers and baby's breath; 'About to Pop' textured Chinese cartons filled with popcorn; and mini 'Sweets' Chinese cartons filled with pastel colored melt away mints. For both the 'About to Pop' and 'Sweets' containers I cut out square and rectangular card stock [that followed my color scheme] and used my Cricut [personal electronic paper cutter and absolutely awesome] for the tiny lettering cut-outs. I glued the lettering on white parchment paper [to add a see-through effect] and clipped all the layers of paper with mini clothespins!

Around the baby shower walls of the complex I made DIY paper pennants with the same card stock I used for the centerpieces [plus additional colors/patterns/textures]. I simply cut out about 4''x6'' triangles [you can vary the size depending on how big or small you want them] in various colors, patterns, and textures of card stock. I then punched out two holes on each end of the top side of the pennant. [Save the punch outs too! - I used the punch outs to sprinkle over each table to add a little something!] Next I cut out long pieces [again, varies on how long you want it] of raffia looping it through the punch holes of the pennants. Then to finish it off, I spaced out the pennants and then taped the raffia to the back side of each pennant so that they would stay in place.


As for the cupcakes and cookies, my sister, mother and I dyed white frosting to match the color scheme. We used different frosting tips to create different textures to each cupcake. For some we added white chocolate morsels and flipped them upside down into the frosting to create a polka-dot look. Others we created different textures and added the word 'baby' to mix it up! For the cookies we added little details with contrasting colors to make each of the shapes pop out.


Oh, and I can't forget about the baby carriage + balloon thumbprints! I've seen this idea for weddings and even baby showers so I thought it would be a perfect little piece to add to the baby shower for each guest to leave their thumbprint. That way at the end of the baby shower, I could put the finished picture in a frame for my sister-in-law to keep! I have passion for drawing and I love art so I decided to find a few baby carriages online that I liked and sort of combine all the parts that I liked most and design my own. I drew the baby carriage on an off-white 8x11.5 colored card stock. I used pencil first [just in case I needed to erase and start over!] then colored in the baby carriage + balloon strings with pen! Super easy & cheap! :)


 Overall the baby shower was a success. My sister-in-law absolutely loved it and was so happy! I have to give a big thanks to all my family and friends who helped me [and put up with me too! ;) ]!
Below are a few more pictures of the special day! :)






peace, <3, pugs & cupcakes
-katie

No comments:

Post a Comment